UX: Difference between Competitive VS Comparative Analysis 🕵🏼♂️
UX: Difference between Competitive VS Comparative Analysis: 🕵🏼♂️
Competitive Analysis: 🔨
Assessing direct competitor products to see how they design for their users. They can allow you to understand the competitor products pain points and opportune space to do better at.
Comparative Analysis: 💁🏻♀️
Sourcing inspiration and studying indirect competitor products to see how they design for their users—does not have to be for similar needs. They can serve as creative inspiration for your product features or design solutions.
How to do a Competitive Analysis:🌟
1. Create a table with the competing products (vertical axis) and features on the (horizontal axis).
2. Check-off the features your competitor products as Yes/No
3. Check out all the competitor products, if they all have a common feature, you may not want to miss out on providing that feature as well.
This pattern could very much be a priority for the same user base you are targeting.
How to do a Comparative Analysis:🌟
1. Ask research participants what products in this space they enjoy using
2. Assess the pros and cons of the products from them
3. Use products as a basis of design solution
Thank you for reading!
Sources: Perrin Anto Design Case Study, NN Group